What is executive coaching?
- May 27th 2014
Since the time Rajat and me founded Coach2Transform, ”what is executive coaching”, “what do you guys really do”, “Baba Rajat!!” have been some of the initial questions and reactions from our friends and well wishers :). And those who don’t get us to ask this question, mostly assume we are into training or counselling. So I decided what better way to address this question then to put it in our blog.
Typically I start with saying “no, it’s not training”, “no, it’s not mentoring also”. It is near to these things but not them. Then the question arises what is it…
Executive coaching is meant for mid to senior level executives who are high potential individuals and need to improve on leadership, people management, time management skills, etc. The need can arise from self or from the organization based on internal assessments like 360-degree assessment or events that have drawn the attention to these aspects. With the changing world it is becoming more and more important for leaders to be high on Emotional Quotient. The challenges of a fast changing environment, global presence of workforces and their own aspirations; makes them realize the need for change. Coaching is simple way of bringing about that change which focuses on the strength of the individual and their future.
Who is it for?
- Aspiring leaders, mid to senior level executives who have been identified by their organization for the next level but the organizations have laid some development areas where the executives need to focus
- Candidates who are technically proficient but require to develop certain people management skills to seamlessly carry a people management role
- Executive women who want to break the glass ceiling by playing the game by their own rules.
- Executives who are top performers and are at the verge of a burnout and need to look at how they can manage work life balance
- Leaders who want to lay out new strategy or initiatives for their organizations
- Experienced and Senior Leaders who are facing challenges to work with the new workforce of the millennial
How does it work?
- A typically coaching engagement consists of 6-8 sessions lasting around 9-10 months over phone/skype/google hangout or face to face. They are always confidential,positive and progressive.
- It is a “one to one” session where the executive coach supports the coachee to achieve his or her own result or outcome
- The basic premise of the coaching relationship is that the coachee has all the answers
- The executive coach acts as catalyst to uncover the answers by questioning, exploring and being non judgmental
- Depending on the situation the executive coach shares tools and assessments to help in self discovery
- Helps executives to discover their own path to reach the future desired state
- It fosters individual’s performance in a business context
- By the end of each session the coachee comes up with a set of action items for self to achieve goals
- The coachee assumes accountability and greater responsibility for his or her own success
How executive coaching is different from:
- Training: Training is about teaching people what they don’t know how to do. Trainers focus on developing skill or knowledge. They tell people how to do something. There is a pre set curriculum and objectives of the training.
- Mentoring: A mentor is usually more experienced than the mentee, has tremendous expertise and insights in the given problem/situation/organization. Mentor guides the mentee to the desired future state based on his or her interpretation of the situation and is often prescriptive.
- Consulting: Consultant is an expert hired to come up with answers. Leverages data, report and research to find the solution. Requires limited commitment from client to implement the solution
- Counseling: Counselors help an individual to improve performance by resolving situations from the past. The focus is on understanding the root cause of the performance or personal issues. The relationship is typically short term.
- Therapy: Therapy focuses on the past and trauma. The therapists diagnose and provide a path to healing. The relationship is typically long term.
To know more about executive coaching or Coach-To-Transformation call us at +91-9971 701 403. To book a free session of 45 mins write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.